One objective of this blog is to encourage productive discussion and debate within the "comments" forum. Leaving comments has been made easier. No registration is required. Comments can be left anonymously. A Hassle free and easy forum to leave a comment. However, any inappropriate comments will be deleted by blog administrators. Thank you for commenting so your voice can be heard.


Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Elisabeth Hasselbeck - Not Necessarily What You Might Think?

If you follow SusPack you know that I have been critical of Elisabeth Hasselbeck for many of her positions.  She often seems to take a staunchly conservative viewpoint without seeming to have a strong philosophical reason to support such a stance.  So an article today - Elisabeth Hasselbeck: 'I Actually Support Gay Marriage,' President Obama 'Incredibly Cool Guy' - really surprised me.

In a two-part interview with Fancast, the conservative co-host of "The View" came out in support of gay marriage and described President Obama as "an incredibly cool guy."


"I am not ultra-ultra-conservative on every issue. I actually support gay marriage," she told Fancast in part one. "I think the gay marriage thing would definitely surprise people. I mean, for some people, it will surprise them to the point that they won't want to hear it. 'No, that can't be, I really want to have this sort of idea of her in my head,' so I sort of rain on their parade there. I am a person that does believe that life begins at conception, but I also don't believe that the government should tell women what to do with their bodies. So I'm torn there in terms of supporting laws [for or against abortion]. I always say I would rather change a heart than a law. I think it has to start there. Always trying to mandate, mandate, mandate this or that is not the way that I believe this country should run."

Hasselbeck said it would be more appropriate to describe her as a "Federalist" than a "conservative."  Federalist are generally considered much like libertarian, they believe in greater State's rights.
 
So it makes me wonder - is the " right wing "View" chick" just a marketing ploy? Is being so far "to the right" just her brand so The View can have conflict and debate or is she really as conservative and contrary to liberal ideals as she often seems? Regardless, it is refreshing to hear someone have opinions that are separate from issue to issue and not just checking the boxes all the way down one column or the other.


I appreciate that she is at least thinking about all these issues. So many Americans just sit back and do and say nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment